Here’s one of my favorite freezer meals. It’s an adaptation of one of Tricia Yearwood’s recipes (original is here.).
I cut the butter WAY back, switched in sour cream for the half and half (sour cream is one of the few dairy products that works in freezer recipes), and added green beans to get another veggie in.
– A 16 oz container of fresh mushrooms, sliced
– 2 thick chicken breasts, cooked and diced
– 2 boxes of seasoned brown & wild rice, prepared
– Butter & olive oil (a few tablespoons each)
– An 8 oz container of light sour cream
– 2-3 cups chicken broth
– 1 cup chopped fresh green beans
– Salt & Pepper
1. Prepare both boxes of rice.
2. Saute mushrooms in a tablespoon of butter and a tablespoon of oil. Set aside.
3. Add onions into the same pan, saute until translucent. Pour in 2 cups of chicken broth and bring to a simmer. This is where I added the green beans and let them simmer until they turned bright green (sorry, didn’t time it but it was about half the time between PJ crying to be moved to a new play spot)
4. Mix the chicken, rice, mushrooms, and broth mixture together in a large bowl. Season to taste with parsley, salt, and pepper.
5. Add the sour cream to this mixture. If it looks too dry, add more chicken broth until it sticks together and is wet but not runny, like this:
6. I split this recipe into two 8×8 pans. Let cool and cover with foil. Reheat at 350 degrees for 30-45 mins until bubbly.
This is becoming a go to in my freezer recipe collection, it’s very easy to assemble and reheat.